Monday, June 28, 2010

Wedding Dresses...Can I Have Four Please?

Today day I learned the fine art of squeezing every minute out of an hour. I had a doctors appointment in the wee hours of the morning (8:30) which I didn't get out of till ten o clock, then I went 40 minutes across town to look at some wedding dresses only to rush back home just in time to get to work by 2:00 where I closed. My mom has been getting antsy lately because of how slowly things have been moving wedding wise. I told her not to worry because we have plenty of time. It doesn't help that we have been understaffed at Payless this last week causing me to work double my usual amount of hours. We need to have the venue nailed down by next week which would take a miracle considering the fact that I am still working pretty regular hours and I am using one of my off days to drive down to Mobile to look at an apartment. There is good news however in just one short hour I will get to see my best friend who I haven't seen since the beginning of May! I miss her and am thrilled that she will be here soon and I catch her up on all the wedding stuff and get her opinion on some dresses.
Following my stream of consciousness, today I may have found my wedding dress. I'm 90% sure its the one for me. I'm taking my dad to see it Friday and I'm hoping the other 10% comes from him. I don't know if you know this, but wedding gowns weigh approximately a million pounds. I fell in love with this one when I put it on and I did not feel as if an elephant was sitting on my chest or as if I was walking in mud. It is chiffon meaning light, flowy, and free. I feel like a butterfly when I'm wearing it. I feel like someone should be playing a harp when I put it on (which I did three times today at the dress shop). I could probably fly in that dress if I tried hard enough. Okay, okay, so I'm exaggerating that does not lessen the awesomeness of this dress. There is one more place that I need to visit on the recommendation of a friend, but it is going to be a hard one to beat. It's kinda the Karate Kid of dresses. I'll let you know how that progresses.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Beginning

To tell the truth I haven’t been engaged very long, but it is still longer than I would like. Two months doesn’t seem like much to those who are reading this (if anyone is), but to someone as besotted and impatient as I am two months is frustrating and a whole year…Well a year is agony. A year is exactly how long I must wait to become the wife that God has called me to be. It will be a year of phone calls, text messages, skype dates, and even letters; a year full of uncertainty, loneliness, and forced distractions that will culminate into the happiest day of my life. Dear Lord why can I not just wake up and be married. However, since it does not seem as if I will go into an engagement coma anytime soon, I must spend the time apart planning a wedding while finishing my last year of undergraduate studies.

A wedding is something I both desire and dread. Weddings are for details people one of which I am not. It is overwhelming standing at the beginning of the process and looking towards next June. There are so many decisions to make from now to then. Did I mention that decisiveness is not one of my strong suits. Does anyone want to plan this wedding for me? I would greatly appreciate it. What? No takers? Did I mention you won't be paid for your time and effort and that you will have to work within a tight budget? That's what I thought. Oh well looks like it is up to me and my lovable but sometimes overbearing family. It's going to be a crazy ride.