Sunday, July 11, 2010

To Be Married...

As with many things definitions alter as you change and move through different phases in your life. It is the same way that a bible verse can speak to you in different ways depending on your current circumstances. At this exact moment being married means never being an ocean apart from the man you love, it means not counting forward seven hours to see if you'll get to talk to him today. It means heat and skin and kisses that aren't blown through a computer screen. It sounds lovely. Today I am struggling not with wedding planning (because lets be honest its not like my procrastinating nature is making much headway in that department)but with separation.
Before I met Kris I used to be semi independent. I know that is hard to believe, but it's the truth. I never felt this overwhelming desire to be with a person at all times. It's a wonderful and terrifying feeling to be drawn so strongly to a person and to want nothing but their continued happiness and company. Kris is my best friend, but he is so much more than that. He is half of who I am. I am my best when I am with him. So you can imagine how upsetting it is to spend the summer as less than my best.
We are not complete strangers to separation, but this is the first time that we have been apart and I didn't have the guarantee that school would resume and Kris and I would continue on as we always have. I won't see him in the caf, I won't visit him at the house, we won't do homework together, I won't take naps during the day just so I can stay up late with him after rehearsals. The summer will end and the separation will continue. I have never known Mobile without Kris and I'm scared. I know that I have to let go of the way things were to make way for a permanent life with him, but that doesn't mean that I'm not devastated over it. I don't know what else to say. I don't need comfort or promises that this last year will pass quickly. I know myself better than that. If summers without Kris feel like years then these next two semester will be as if time is running backwards instead of forward. I know that being apart isn't the worst thing that has ever happened to a couple...but I can't seem to put it into perspective.
I miss Kris.

2 comments:

  1. You really touched my heart with this, Danyelle... so sad... so sweet. Kris is blessed to have someone who loves him so. We're blessed too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am always a phone call/skype call away when you feel like this :) I know the feeling very well. It'll be tough, but my best advice is just look forward to the next times you get to see him. It will make it all the more exciting also it will give you more of a light hearted feeling :). I think the best feeling was when the moment I would miss Matt the most, I would get a phone call the next day, and it would feel as though everything was a okay! I know each person deals with separation differently, but coming from experience it is very capable and soooooon -ish you will get to spend the rest of your life with him :) Which i am SO EXCITED ABOUT! i love you deary hang in there!

    ReplyDelete